'Body Talk' Programme
From Nest Consulting :
Are you are looking for a programme to provide information, discussion & tools to deal with body image, body wonderment, media & social influences, celebrating body diversity & body trust? Body Talk is incorporated, age appropriately, into all of Nest Consulting's Programmes designed to address the increasing pressures on tweens & teens to look 'perfect'. It can also be run as a day programme, a 3 hour workshop, as a series of classes or components can be chosen for a one class event.
Your preferred provider for in-school education (also available for Youth Groups) and now NZ-wide! Our Educators are qualified as facilitators of the Dove self esteem programme & the Nourish body image & media awareness programme.
Body Talk is a programme; inspired by EDEN's Nourish & Dove's Self Esteem projects, designed to assist young people to:
- Understand & deal with thoughts & feelings about physical appearance,
- Examine influences on body image with a particular focus on the media,
- Practice listening to & appreciating their bodies,
- Learn about body trust & the dangers of dieting,
- Celebrate diversity in themselves & others,
- Developing Emotional Intelligence,
- Identify ways to create “body-safe” environments
Currently young people are faced with more pressure to look “perfect” than at any other time. It is vital to combat this pressure by providing young people with information, alternative perspectives & tools for change.
- body confidence
- self esteem
- critical thinking
- body satisfaction
- body diversity
- positive body image
- body trust
- a knowledge of resources and supports
This Programme is deliberately NOT about eating disorders, weight or food pyramids, but rather seeks to move concepts such as EDEN's 'LOVE YOUR BODY' into action and Dove's 'BE REAL'.
Through creative activities, discussions, DVD, images and worksheets, students are able to explore these issues in a variety of learning styles. It is designed to lead young people through an engaging, holistic, optimistic & exciting journey to body confidence.
Nest Consulting offer the Body Talk Programme at different year levels: components are an integral part of all of our Programmes from our Puberty Education Programme (Positive Puberty Plus) for Yr 5/6 & Yr 7/8 upward. If desired we are able to work with individual schools to establish a unique programme.
Influences on Body Image:
- What influences Body Image
- Changing ideas over time
Critical Media Literacy
- Stereotypical images of attractiveness
- Viewing the media critically
Dieting and Body Trust
- Internal & External Clues
- DVD - At war with our bodies
- Body Trust
- More than Nutrition
- BMI Myth Busting
- Health at every size
Breaking the Mould
- Stereotypical assumptions
- Appearance Bullying
- Body Wonderment
- Body Image
Taking up Space
- Making new moulds
- Spreading the love
- How to promote positive body image
- Emotional intelligence
See Testimonials and our most recently visited schools here!